Home >> India Focus >> India Fast Facts
India Fast Facts
- Total area 3,287,590 sq. km. Coast line approx. 7,000 km. 28 States and 7 Union Territories and territorial borders with 6 countries
- Population - 2007 estimate 1.12 billion (2nd) largest in the world
- Multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, multi-cultural people. More than 96 living languages with only 46 technically written. Land of all seasons and diverse terrains
- Although India occupies only 2.4% of the world's land area, it supports over 15% of the world's population. Only China has a larger population.
- Almost 33% of Indians are younger than 15 years of age.
- About 70% of the people live in more than 550,000 villages, and the remainder in more than 200 towns and cities.
- Religion, caste and language are major determinants of social and political organization in India today.
- Although 82% of the people are Hindu, India also is the home of more than 126 million Muslims--one of the world's largest Muslim populations. The population also includes Christians, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists and Parsis.
- World's fourth largest economy in-terms of PPP
- World's second fastest growing economy with a GDP growth rate equals to 9.6% 2006-07
- Exports $125 billion (Financial Year 2006-2007)
- Imports $187.9 billion f.o.b. (2006-07)
- India’s share of world trade was 1.5% in 2006-07 and is estimated to reach 2% by 2009.